STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY THE DELEGATION OF ARGENTINA ON THE ORGANIZATION OF WORK OF THE FIRST PART OF THE RESUMED SIXTY-FIFTH SESSION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE OF THE GENERAL ASSSEMBLY
1. I have the honour to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on the organization of work of the first part of the resumed sixty-fifth session of the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly.
2. Since my delegation is addressing this Committee as Chair of the Group of 77 for the first time, I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the full support and cooperation of the Group throughout this and future sessions. We have full confidence that under your capable leadership and guidance the important work entrusted to the Committee will reach a successful conclusion.
3. The Group of 77 and China would like to thank you and the members of the Bureau for providing us with a balanced programme of work and the status of preparedness of documentation contained in document A/C.5/65/L.26. In this regard, the Group of 77 and China wishes to stress the provisional nature of the programme of work and our expectation that the Bureau, as in the past, will amend it throughout the session to reflect the progress made in the negotiations in keeping with the traditional practice in the Committee.
4. In reviewing the list of the new and deferred items in the proposed programme of work and the documentation available, the Group of 77 and China attaches special significance to their thorough consideration and trusts that adequate time will be allocated to the various items for their effective consideration to ensure their successful conclusion. We intend to carefully examine several important items on the agenda including the following: capital master plan; standards of accommodation for air travel; revised budget estimates; conditions of service of the members of the ICSC and the Chair of the ACABQ; and various reports of the Joint Inspection Unit.
5. Concerning the status of documentation, it is with concern that the Group notes that, once again, important reports have been issued late. We appreciate the updates received through the Bureau in this regard, but the Group reiterates its view that late submission of documents disrupts the smooth functioning of the Committee
6. In conclusion, Mr. Chairman, the Group of 77 and China stands ready to engage constructively with you and all the partners to find consensual solutions to all the items on our agenda.
Thank you, Mr. Chairman.